Ghana midfielder Thomas Partey has expressed his delight after making his debut for Saudi Pro League side Al Shabab in a 1-1 draw against Al Khaleej.
Partey completed his move to the Riyadh-based club just hours before the match and was introduced in the 58th minute, making an immediate impression during his 32-minute appearance.
“Yeah, I think it’s amazing. I like it. It’s my first game here, and I thought we did great,” Partey said after the match.
The 33-year-old midfielder came close to marking his debut with a goal in the 80th minute, but his effort narrowly missed the target. He also completed 94 per cent of his passes, found his target with all his attempted long balls and made one recovery.
Despite Al Shabab being unable to secure all three points, Partey was pleased with the team’s performance and believes they must continue working hard to improve their results.
“We could have scored. We had the chance to score, but it’s part of football. We have to just keep working hard and try to make more points and get three points in our next game,” he added.
Partey joined Al Shabab on a one-year contract after leaving Spanish side Villarreal, where he made 32 appearances last season.
The Ghanaian midfielder brings considerable European experience to the Saudi club, having previously played for Atlético Madrid and Arsenal during a distinguished career at the highest level.
Speaking about his approach to his new challenge, Partey said he was ready to give his best to the club.
“I think it’s normal. I will do my best to give everything to this club, and I’m really happy to be here,” he said.
Al Shabab have collected one point from their opening two league matches and currently sit 13th in the Saudi Pro League. They will be looking to secure their first league victory when they face Al Riyadh on August 25.
Partey’s return to regular competitive action will also be closely followed in Ghana, with the midfielder expected to remain an important figure for the Black Stars when international duty resumes in September for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying campaign.
The former Arsenal midfielder started three of Ghana’s four matches at the 2026 FIFA World Cup and will be hoping his move to Saudi Arabia provides him with the opportunity to regain his best form and maintain his place as one of the key figures in the national team.
For Al Shabab, Partey’s experience and leadership could prove valuable as the club looks to improve its position in the Saudi Pro League.

